Constructive ideas for Ground Development

Birdman
Co-owner
Co-owner
Constructive ideas for Ground Development

Post by Birdman »

Purely from an aesthetic point of view, structural things I would like to see :-

South side, a replacement pitch-length stand (same height) with more seats but still with standing areas (2/3rds of their current size) at each end. Also no pillars to obstruct the view.

Eastbank roof to be replaced but with the same shape and again no pillars to obstruct any view. I don’t know what the design of the ‘no pillar’ roof is called. I’ll have a shufti later.

North Stand, replacement roof and again, no pillars. Same amount of seats but slightly smaller standing areas to allow for the ‘dugouts’ (see next sentence). Seating areas (‘dugouts’) for the players and coaching staff to be incorporated within the stand and in front of the directors box.

HSE; this is a tricky one because if we were to develop that end we’d have to find space for the two storey portacabin (secretary’s office and match day security).

I’d also like to see the floodlights moved on the south side (by the tea hut and away end of the Eastbank) so that they’re not straddling footpaths. How that’d work I don’t know. End of the day that might just be a luxury we can’t afford.
“The benefit of hindsight can be a wonderful thing.”
Roger D
Re: Ground Development Update from The Chairman

Post by Roger D »

Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:15 pm I'm no fan of plastic pitches, but considering we won't be challenging for promotion anytime soon and not much football has been played on the grass one we have in recent years, I think it's madness not to give serious consideration to having one installed.

If there is serious money to be generated for the club why wouldn't we?
Much of the value in such a pitch is through hiring it out. Is a ground next to a substantial retirement home and (probably soonish) a load of new build flats going to be able to utilise the pitch fully? Or would it just open up noise and lighting complaints?

That's a question not a statement BTW.

However, if I was a Shots fans I'd be less than delighted that Rushmoor, however helpful they may be being re the redevelopment, oversaw the arrival of an elderly persons home right next to a football stadium. There seems a clear potential for future conflict between the needs of the two user bases.
karlready

Post by karlready »

Roger D wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:27 am
Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:15 pm I'm no fan of plastic pitches, but considering we won't be challenging for promotion anytime soon and not much football has been played on the grass one we have in recent years, I think it's madness not to give serious consideration to having one installed.

Much of the value in such a pitch is through hiring it out. Is a ground next to a substantial retirement home and (probably soonish) a load of new build flats going to be able to utilise the pitch fully? Or would it just open up noise and lighting complaints?

However, if I was a Shots fans I'd be less than delighted that Rushmoor, however helpful they may be being re the redevelopment, oversaw the arrival of an elderly persons home right next to a football stadium. There seems a clear potential for future conflict between the needs of the two user bases.
My thoughts exactly. If the redevelopment is to include the vital money-making facilities, it needs to include a substantial convenient car-park, and where is the room, beyond the existing parking? Presumably a road will be built through the military land off Ordnance Road to give access to the flats. It's all a bit squashed, and I certainly take the points about noise and lights, which is an issue at other grounds.
through a glass darkly
tonygodfrey

Post by tonygodfrey »

Roger D wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:27 am However, if I was a Shots fans I'd be less than delighted that Rushmoor, however helpful they may be being re the redevelopment, oversaw the arrival of an elderly persons home right next to a football stadium. There seems a clear potential for future conflict between the needs of the two user bases.
Totally agree with this.
Although there is some work in progress in the town centre can't see how Rushmoor has done the town of Aldershot any favours over the years. In fact, the opposite seems the case. After initially pushing the new club into a very costly self repair deal on the ground, the least they could do is give the town's football club the opportunity to thrive.
Localshot

Post by Localshot »

Birdman wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:43 pm
HSE; this is a tricky one because if we were to develop that end we’d have to find space for the two storey portacabin (secretary’s office and match day security).
This is where fans input would be helpful as I would incorporate the Secretarys office and 'matchday security office within the north stand development thus freeing up the space where it is currently. We would also have the opportunity to have food/drink/toilet/club shop/medics/offices/etc establishments immediately under the stands allowing easier access to such facilities. This would be so helpful when we have bad weather and again frees up space. There are so many opportunities with the right thinking.
ShotOnTarget

Post by ShotOnTarget »

Rooms that would be suitable for Farnborough College to adopt as satellite facilities that could also be used as an educational facility for the Academy.

Definitely a Bar/Pub

Solar panelling on the stand roofs with battery storage

Usage of electric vehicle charging points with usage linked to tickets/season tickets sales

Fibre optic communications ring to service telephony and internet

Anything developed should be with full consideration of potential multiple uses

A Gym for use by the squad and public
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
AdeB

Post by AdeB »

I wonder what the plan will be for away fans - do we keep (and upgrade/maintain) the long and winding path, or will away fans enter via the High St, which would probably make it impractical to put them in the East Bank/bend. If via the High St, maybe a small terrace along that end - relatively cheap?
Old Bob

Post by Old Bob »

Birdman wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:43 pm Eastbank roof to be replaced but with the same shape and again no pillars to obstruct any view. I don’t know what the design of the ‘no pillar’ roof is called. I’ll have a shufti later.
Cantilever.

Regarding floodlight pylons ... I'd like to see low energy lighting incorporated in stand roofs, as is now standard in modern grounds.
Birdman
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by Birdman »

Old Bob wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:55 pm
Birdman wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:43 pm Eastbank roof to be replaced but with the same shape and again no pillars to obstruct any view. I don’t know what the design of the ‘no pillar’ roof is called. I’ll have a shufti later.
Cantilever.

Regarding floodlight pylons ... I'd like to see low energy lighting incorporated in stand roofs, as is now standard in modern grounds.
That’s the word I was looking for. I knew what it was but I just couldn’t remember it (age creeping up). ☹️

Do you think that the stand roofs would be high enough? I have my doubts. I’ll have a look on the footballgroundsguide for the type of lighting that you’re suggesting. Fylde’s are ‘interesting’ :- https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues ... fylde.html
Localshot

Post by Localshot »

Birdman....As you have started the ball rolling could elements of this thread be incorporated into a new 'sticky for useful comments/ideas.
chimpster99
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by chimpster99 »

Cantilever.

I think anyone would struggle to provide a barrel roof with a cantilevered design, from an engineering perspective it would be extremely difficult and would look a bit weird too. I think this is one aspect of the new ground that will have to change.
'Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes. ' Brian Clough
Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg »

It's a fair point.

I would imagine the draw of being able to play / train on a pitch within a nice stadium would be a decent selling point for local clubs etc..

Certainly worth looking at anyway in my opinion. As above I'm no fan of plastic pitches but I'm a fan of the club having more to spend on the team so I can happily put up with it and wouldn't rule it out because it's just not what we do type stupid argument.
Birdman
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by Birdman »

Localshot wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:19 pm Birdman....As you have started the ball rolling could elements of this thread be incorporated into a new 'sticky for useful comments/ideas.
I’ll have a word with RC to see if that could be done. Maybe just pages 6 and 7 onwards. Anything on other pages re hopes/wishes could be c&p by the original poster onto this new thread (as and when it gets going). Leave it with me please.
Richard Petty
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by Richard Petty »

Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:29 pm

It's a fair point.

I would imagine the draw of being able to play / train on a pitch within a nice stadium would be a decent selling point for local clubs etc..

Certainly worth looking at anyway in my opinion. As above I'm no fan of plastic pitches but I'm a fan of the club having more to spend on the team so I can happily put up with it and wouldn't rule it out because it's just not what we do type stupid argument.
The problem with installing an artificial pitch is that the initial outlay would take some while (probably 3 or 4 seasons to fully recoup). If we achieve promotion there would then be another substantial outlay to replace the pitch with grass again. you would probably have to remain in the National League for a minimum of at least 6 seasons to realistically see any return on the investment.
The old saying goes "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you will never please all the people all the time." In fact sometimes it seems impossible to even please some of the people any of the time
Richard Petty
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by Richard Petty »

chimpster99 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:22 pm
Cantilever.

I think anyone would struggle to provide a barrel roof with a cantilevered design, from an engineering perspective it would be extremely difficult and would look a bit weird too. I think this is one aspect of the new ground that will have to change.
You could theoretically install a normal cantilever roof and than stick some sort of lightweight decorative doming on it but that would then require some form of front guttering which we need to get away from and as you say would look very weird. Another option you could perhaps curve the rear drop of the cantilever which would give it a slightly rounded look, but then you would have to do the same with all the other stands for it to conform and as it might cost more than a normal flat roof it would be rather a waste of money if it did.

Floodlights along the stand rooflines would require higher stands that we have now (As Birdman observed in earlier post) and I would imagine still higher than we are likely to have in the new development. however we might be able to get away from the current four big pylons as new floodlights would be LED and are usually on hinged single poles (Hinged to allow easy lamp changing) or on roof mounts raised above the stands.
The old saying goes "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you will never please all the people all the time." In fact sometimes it seems impossible to even please some of the people any of the time