Constructive ideas for Ground Development

supershots
Co-owner
Co-owner
Re: Constructive ideas for Ground Development

Post by supershots »

Made me think of the goal Steve Melledew scored the high street end when he took a cross on the volley fully in his stride and tucked the ball away, the ball went around the stantion taking the net with it. I can still see in my mind the oppo player trying to untangle it!
GetShotDownunder
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by GetShotDownunder »

Would arson and an insurance payout be a way forward?
OZShot! Better to be a Phoenix for a day than a Sheep all your life.
Ascot Shot

Post by Ascot Shot »

supershots wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:17 pm Made me think of the goal Steve Melledew scored the high street end when he took a cross on the volley fully in his stride and tucked the ball away, the ball went around the stantion taking the net with it. I can still see in my mind the oppo player trying to untangle it!

I seem to remember that goal as well. Ball stuck in the top corner between stantion and net. May have been against Hereford Utd ?

COYS.
80fc

Post by 80fc »

GetShotDownunder wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:41 am Would arson and an insurance payout be a way forward?
I think that's already been tried up in Darlo
Everybody has a plan until you smack them in the mouth
lanternhall

Post by lanternhall »

80fc wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:19 pm
GetShotDownunder wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:41 am Would arson and an insurance payout be a way forward?
Built Lakeside. Very successful.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think it was Doncaster-the chairman torched the main stand and got put away for arson. I think his sole interest in Doncaster was in flogging Belle Vue which was close to the race track and was quite valuable; he thought burning it to the ground would speed things up. Seem to remember Doncaster finishing bottom of the Fourth tier by a mile that season; they were lucky to survive and deserve their better days
80fc

Post by 80fc »

hepcat wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:50 pm
I think it was Doncaster-the chairman torched the main stand and got put away for arson. I think his sole interest in Doncaster was in flogging Belle Vue which was close to the race track and was quite valuable; he thought burning it to the ground would speed things up. Seem to remember Doncaster finishing bottom of the Fourth tier by a mile that season; they were lucky to survive and deserve their better days
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 94c8ARVHBo
Everybody has a plan until you smack them in the mouth
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blimey ! Arson must be a popular Northern pastime! We're on the wrong side of the Watford gap .....though as Lanternhall reminds us it got the Lakeside a make-over :wink:
Stenhouse
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by Stenhouse »

My scouts tell me that donkey jackets remain an unknown species at the Rec. Ain't gonna happen, is it?
Wylie, McLaughlan & Jack, Taylor, Kinnell & Moore, Sugden, Dickson, Mullen, Bostock & Ross.
dougoftheshots

Post by dougoftheshots »

Until the Architects come up with finished ground drawing plans and planning is agreed you won't see any donkey jackets , may be the chairman could give an up date on how thing are going.
aldershot fc 1955
Harlow Massive

Post by Harlow Massive »

dougoftheshots wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:07 pm Until the Architects come up with finished ground drawing plans and planning is agreed you won't see any donkey jackets , may be the chairman could give an up date on how thing are going.
Is it Christmas and a cracker has been opened? Just asking............
chimpster99
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by chimpster99 »

hepcat wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:26 pm One thing I'd love to se and it won't cost much is GOALS WITH STANCHIONS !!!!! I can't stand the box goals every tedious ground has. You can't score a great goal unless the net is angled by stanchions!
Especially as they offer a secondary target for top bins efforts, with goals counting double if the ball wedges inside the stanchion like Tevor Brooking did!
'Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes. ' Brian Clough
lanternhall
Re: Ground Development Update from The Chairman

Post by lanternhall »

Roger D wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:27 am
Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:15 pm I'm no fan of plastic pitches, but considering we won't be challenging for promotion anytime soon and not much football has been played on the grass one we have in recent years, I think it's madness not to give serious consideration to having one installed.

If there is serious money to be generated for the club why wouldn't we?
Much of the value in such a pitch is through hiring it out. Is a ground next to a substantial retirement home and (probably soonish) a load of new build flats going to be able to utilise the pitch fully? Or would it just open up noise and lighting complaints?

That's a question not a statement BTW.

However, if I was a Shots fans I'd be less than delighted that Rushmoor, however helpful they may be being re the redevelopment, oversaw the arrival of an elderly persons home right next to a football stadium. There seems a clear potential for future conflict between the needs of the two user bases.
I love the Rec pitch ( yes it is the Rec not the EBB) . Alway been one of the best pitches in the league
supershots
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by supershots »

chimpster99 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:36 am
hepcat wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:26 pm One thing I'd love to se and it won't cost much is GOALS WITH STANCHIONS !!!!! I can't stand the box goals every tedious ground has. You can't score a great goal unless the net is angled by stanchions!
Especially as they offer a secondary target for top bins efforts, with goals counting double if the ball wedges inside the stanchion like Tevor Brooking did!
And Steve Melledew!
supershots
Co-owner
Co-owner
Re: Ground Development Update from The Chairman

Post by supershots »

lanternhall wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:31 am
Roger D wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:27 am
Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:15 pm I'm no fan of plastic pitches, but considering we won't be challenging for promotion anytime soon and not much football has been played on the grass one we have in recent years, I think it's madness not to give serious consideration to having one installed.

If there is serious money to be generated for the club why wouldn't we?
Much of the value in such a pitch is through hiring it out. Is a ground next to a substantial retirement home and (probably soonish) a load of new build flats going to be able to utilise the pitch fully? Or would it just open up noise and lighting complaints?

That's a question not a statement BTW.

However, if I was a Shots fans I'd be less than delighted that Rushmoor, however helpful they may be being re the redevelopment, oversaw the arrival of an elderly persons home right next to a football stadium. There seems a clear potential for future conflict between the needs of the two user bases.
I love the Rec pitch ( yes it is the Rec not the EBB) . Alway been one of the best pitches in the league
The old peoples home was built for the good Dr. so that he would not have to fork out so much for travel costs :lol: