Constructive ideas for Ground Development

Fuggletim
Co-owner
Co-owner
Re: Constructive ideas for Ground Development

Post by Fuggletim »

A few thoughts:

a) Dugouts either sunk in or repositioned so not to obstruct view of pitch and thus restore viability of potentially the best seats in the house.

b) Trees should be retained as they are a rather unique feature of the ground.

c) Lighting provided in the dark area beyond reach of floodlights/streetlights when exiting from North Stand to High Street (could easily be done now and is needed).

d) East Bank “Barrel” is OK, but I don’t think all that special so would not object to demolition. This could mean the ground could move appx 50 x Yards back and give space for development at the High St end.

e) South Stand looks quite modern in its design and something new could be built in its sort of style.

f) North Stand could be built in similar style.

g) All round upgrade of catering and bar facilities and a marked upgrade to catering quality. Facilities need to be available on more than matchdays.

g) Not quite the same league of course, but having been to corporate events at Twickenham, Aegis Bowl and The Oval, conference facilities might be a winner.
Stenhouse
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by Stenhouse »

The more I read on here, the more that I wish we had a new site. The sale of MOD land was a great opportunity lost IMO. We are trying to fit an EFL standard stadium into a really tight space, thanks to the old BT office, a Buddhist temple, a new old peoples home, and no tangible car parking. The draw of being sited near the centre of Aldershot is really no longer valid, as the commercial side of the town is dead (yes I know about the building of flats and retail outlets currently ongoing, but the town will not compete with its near neighbours).
Wylie, McLaughlan & Jack, Taylor, Kinnell & Moore, Sugden, Dickson, Mullen, Bostock & Ross.
Birdman
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by Birdman »

redandbluescb wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:27 pm
Joplings tash wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:18 pm New to shots web .is it time to look at the rec a little differently .How many businesses would put a large number of customers the furthest away from point of entry as possible with a view looking directly into the setting sun? Is it time the waste of land at the high street end is developed properly with a home 1500 stand with good facilities underneath. Convert the east bank to away fans who enter from ordnance road . In order to increase match day revenue the customer needs to spend more time/ money at the ground instead of arriving just before kick off . Maybe ticket and drink deals or early bird drink offers are a revenue stream?
Give the EAST BANK to away fans . You really dont understand our fans newbie :oops:
He said “new to Shotsweb” which doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s a new Shots fan.
“The benefit of hindsight can be a wonderful thing.”
Dom Sterlings Left Leg
Re: Ground Development Update from The Chairman

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg »

Richard Petty wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:55 pm
Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:29 pm
Roger D wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:27 am

Much of the value in such a pitch is through hiring it out. Is a ground next to a substantial retirement home and (probably soonish) a load of new build flats going to be able to utilise the pitch fully? Or would it just open up noise and lighting complaints?

That's a question not a statement BTW.

However, if I was a Shots fans I'd be less than delighted that Rushmoor, however helpful they may be being re the redevelopment, oversaw the arrival of an elderly persons home right next to a football stadium. There seems a clear potential for future conflict between the needs of the two user bases.
It's a fair point.

I would imagine the draw of being able to play / train on a pitch within a nice stadium would be a decent selling point for local clubs etc..

Certainly worth looking at anyway in my opinion. As above I'm no fan of plastic pitches but I'm a fan of the club having more to spend on the team so I can happily put up with it and wouldn't rule it out because it's just not what we do type stupid argument.
The problem with installing an artificial pitch is that the initial outlay would take some while (probably 3 or 4 seasons to fully recoup). If we achieve promotion there would then be another substantial outlay to replace the pitch with grass again. you would probably have to remain in the National League for a minimum of at least 6 seasons to realistically see any return on the investment.
If installed as part of the development maybe it could be done and those kind of issues negated... plus I suspect the FL will end up allowing them..
Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg »

Stenhouse wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:46 pm The more I read on here, the more that I wish we had a new site. The sale of MOD land was a great opportunity lost IMO. We are trying to fit an EFL standard stadium into a really tight space, thanks to the old BT office, a Buddhist temple, a new old peoples home, and no tangible car parking. The draw of being sited near the centre of Aldershot is really no longer valid, as the commercial side of the town is dead (yes I know about the building of flats and retail outlets currently ongoing, but the town will not compete with its near neighbours).
Agree entirely. The boat was missed long ago sadly.
Joplings tash

Post by Joplings tash »

If we are going to knock the east bank down anyway rebuild it at the high street end . It’s the fans that make the atmosphere not a stand falling to pieces . We need to look forwards not backwards for a change
Stenhouse
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by Stenhouse »

When you think of it, what other club is restricted in land growth for its ground by a redundant office block, an old peoples home, an ageing High Street, and a buddhist temple! Totally laughable if not true!
Wylie, McLaughlan & Jack, Taylor, Kinnell & Moore, Sugden, Dickson, Mullen, Bostock & Ross.
Stenhouse
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by Stenhouse »

Joplings tash wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:47 pm If we are going to knock the east bank down anyway rebuild it at the high street end . It’s the fans that make the atmosphere not a stand falling to pieces . We need to look forwards not backwards for a change
I agree, but you may find that there are TPO's, (Tree Preservation Orders) in the High Street area.
Statto

Post by Statto »

80fc wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:17 pm Purely from a fans perspective the East Bank roof design needs to be kept for the acoustic benefits alone. Probably an engineering nightmare for today's architects
It also needs "EAST BANK" on it! :)

In the meantime, can Birdy go up on a cherrypicker and redo the current lettering as it's faded? :D
Aldershot Town's Historian since 2008 - YES, REALLY!! 8)
Statto

Post by Statto »

Joplings tash wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:47 pm If we are going to knock the east bank down anyway rebuild it at the high street end . It’s the fans that make the atmosphere not a stand falling to pieces . We need to look forwards not backwards for a change
But then we'd have to call it the West Bank, which could conjure up all sorts of politics-based mischief from away fans! :shock:
Aldershot Town's Historian since 2008 - YES, REALLY!! 8)
Richard Petty
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by Richard Petty »

I hope people will not have a go at you as your suggestion is on paper a sensible one and would actually make things a heck of a lot easier all round. But and there is a very big but, the East bank is the heart and soul of the ground for many supporters and relocating the fans from there to the west end of the ground would I am sure be a step too far in terms of change. I don't think the club would want to risk the backlash no matter how sensible such a change would be.

To give you some support I would certainly build it the way you have suggested if we were starting from scratch without the history of the ground but we do have the history and that would be a big risk to ignore.
The old saying goes "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you will never please all the people all the time." In fact sometimes it seems impossible to even please some of the people any of the time
Aldershot_Rob

Post by Aldershot_Rob »

Richard Petty wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:54 pm
I hope people will not have a go at you as your suggestion is on paper a sensible one and would actually make things a heck of a lot easier all round. But and there is a very big but, the East bank is the heart and soul of the ground for many supporters and relocating the fans from there to the west end of the ground would I am sure be a step too far in terms of change. I don't think the club would want to risk the backlash no matter how sensible such a change would be.

To give you some support I would certainly build it the way you have suggested if we were starting from scratch without the history of the ground but we do have the history and that would be a big risk to ignore.
Just playing Devils advocate for a moment here, Richard, but earlier in this thread you suggested we do away wit the barrel roof. The roof is part of the identity of the East Bank, it gives it the unique look and create the volume of noise that we all love. To remove the roof and go with a generic looking stand, the East Bank becomes just another stand. For me, what gives the East Bank its charm and what makes it the hart and soul IS the barrel roof. If ever a football stand had a USP (unique selling point), then that would be it.
On that basis, would there really be any more uproar about changing the ground lay out and conceding the East Bank and gaining a new West Stand?

If we are looking to make wholesale changes regarding the ground, perhaps Joplings Tash could well be on to something.
Bear

Post by Bear »

Id like us to have a more enclosed stadium to keep the atmosphere in.

Something like this but with a terrace at either end - though probably way too expensive!!

https://frameweb.com/article/bord-studi ... ll-stadium
CH

Post by CH »

Regenerated Terraced East Bank for home fans.

New Small/medium covered terrace running down the south side.

Small/medium seated stand at the west side. With bar/club shop underneath with police steward control box.

All seated north stand with hospitality, offices, gym etc.

Capacity. 6-8k with enough seats for EFL acceptance.

Fans have all choices open to them whether they want a side or end view and whether to stand or sit,

Away fans can have their own turnstile, toilets and bar, and the choice to stand or sit in the South West corner.
supershots
Co-owner
Co-owner
Re: Ground Development Update from The Chairman

Post by supershots »

Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:29 pm
Richard Petty wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:55 pm
Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:29 pm

It's a fair point.

I would imagine the draw of being able to play / train on a pitch within a nice stadium would be a decent selling point for local clubs etc..

Certainly worth looking at anyway in my opinion. As above I'm no fan of plastic pitches but I'm a fan of the club having more to spend on the team so I can happily put up with it and wouldn't rule it out because it's just not what we do type stupid argument.
The problem with installing an artificial pitch is that the initial outlay would take some while (probably 3 or 4 seasons to fully recoup). If we achieve promotion there would then be another substantial outlay to replace the pitch with grass again. you would probably have to remain in the National League for a minimum of at least 6 seasons to realistically see any return on the investment.
If installed as part of the development maybe it could be done and those kind of issues negated... plus I suspect the FL will end up allowing them..
Why waste money?