Constructive ideas for Ground Development

supershots
Co-owner
Co-owner
Re: Constructive ideas for Ground Development

Post by supershots »

Bear wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:06 am Id like us to have a more enclosed stadium to keep the atmosphere in.

Something like this but with a terrace at either end - though probably way too expensive!!

https://frameweb.com/article/bord-studi ... ll-stadium
No - that is just wrong on all counts
Richard Petty
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by Richard Petty »

Aldershot_Rob wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:28 am
Richard Petty wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:54 pm
Joplings tash wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:47 pm If we are going to knock the east bank down anyway rebuild it at the high street end . It’s the fans that make the atmosphere not a stand falling to pieces . We need to look forwards not backwards for a change
I hope people will not have a go at you as your suggestion is on paper a sensible one and would actually make things a heck of a lot easier all round. But and there is a very big but, the East bank is the heart and soul of the ground for many supporters and relocating the fans from there to the west end of the ground would I am sure be a step too far in terms of change. I don't think the club would want to risk the backlash no matter how sensible such a change would be.

To give you some support I would certainly build it the way you have suggested if we were starting from scratch without the history of the ground but we do have the history and that would be a big risk to ignore.
Just playing Devils advocate for a moment here, Richard, but earlier in this thread you suggested we do away wit the barrel roof. The roof is part of the identity of the East Bank, it gives it the unique look and create the volume of noise that we all love. To remove the roof and go with a generic looking stand, the East Bank becomes just another stand. For me, what gives the East Bank its charm and what makes it the hart and soul IS the barrel roof. If ever a football stand had a USP (unique selling point), then that would be it.
On that basis, would there really be any more uproar about changing the ground lay out and conceding the East Bank and gaining a new West Stand?

If we are looking to make wholesale changes regarding the ground, perhaps Joplings Tash could well be on to something.
I don't think changing the roof is in the same league (No pun intended) as relocating the East Bank to the other end of the ground, yes some people will be miffed if the roof changes but if they got moved to the High St end I think many would be apoplectic.
The old saying goes "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you will never please all the people all the time." In fact sometimes it seems impossible to even please some of the people any of the time
Richard Petty
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by Richard Petty »

Bear wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:06 am Id like us to have a more enclosed stadium to keep the atmosphere in.

Something like this but with a terrace at either end - though probably way too expensive!!

https://frameweb.com/article/bord-studi ... ll-stadium
That's fantastic Bear, I love that

Also if you look at the stand roof on the right of the picture it has a curved roof which would possibly satisfy those that want to retain the look of the East Bank and was what I was suggesting as a possible compromise in a previous post.
The old saying goes "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you will never please all the people all the time." In fact sometimes it seems impossible to even please some of the people any of the time
Richard Petty
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by Richard Petty »

CH wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:38 am Regenerated Terraced East Bank for home fans.

New Small/medium covered terrace running down the south side.

Small/medium seated stand at the west side. With bar/club shop underneath with police steward control box.

All seated north stand with hospitality, offices, gym etc.

Capacity. 6-8k with enough seats for EFL acceptance.

Fans have all choices open to them whether they want a side or end view and whether to stand or sit,

Away fans can have their own turnstile, toilets and bar, and the choice to stand or sit in the South West corner.
This is probably the closest description that I have seen on here that matches what I would suggest if I had any input into the design. Last Friday I made myself a bit unpopular with one of my fellow volunteers (Sorry Dave) who sits in the South Stand when I suggested that it would be a waste of money to spend out on two big stands either side of the pitch and that a covered terrace on the South side running the length of the pitch would actually be great for those that want to stand as they could even move from one end to the other (like Woking) if they wanted to during the game. the North Stand could then be an all seater stand with all the hospitality in one place.

The only difference in my ideas would be that the whole of the High St end would be for away fans with a mixed seat and terrace stand rather than just one corner. We will never in my opinion outgrow the home capacity of the other three sides so lets not restrict the level of away support that we can have. We would only need to open up a single section of it for when away attendance is low.

I would also have the home disabled section in the North stand but up at the top of the stand where they can get a better view than currently at ground level. Our disabled sections (Home and away) are actually not too bad, a bit small but better than some similar old grounds. However we can do better for them in a new design so hopefully a larger area with more of a premium view would be good with easy access to refreshments close by.
Graham Stovold

Post by Graham Stovold »

I just want to see the ground redeveloped, done within budget & timescale & to sustain the club well into the future.

I’m not really bothered about the East Bank, it’s past its time in its present state for holding fans for football matches. Knock it down & rebuild with decent facilities for those that will use it.
“I refuse to belong to a club, that will have me as a member”
Bear

Post by Bear »

Actually that's an excellent idea to have a terrace running the whole length of the south side (like Stevenage) and have it 'wrap around' the Eastbank and west end. A larger North Stand would probably have 2,500 - 3,000 seats which would be more than sufficient. Basically a (much) smaller more enclosed version of my favourite football ground - Stadion An der Alten Försterei home of Union Berlin. https://www.fc-union-berlin.de/en/stadi ... nt-image-2 / a smaller version of Boston's new Jakemans Community Stadium (I love their new floodlights by the way - a modern take on the old traditional pylons and a real space saver) https://www.bostonunited.co.uk/news/vid ... 89592.html

This would also give us a larger capacity to future proof for any large cup games or a promotion to League 1 (that's the dream!) and a better atmosphere.
80fc

Post by 80fc »

You all realise that the only input fans will have is the colour of the walls in the gents
Everybody has a plan until you smack them in the mouth
Sean Chambers

Post by Sean Chambers »

Richard Petty wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:43 am
CH wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:38 am Regenerated Terraced East Bank for home fans.

Small/medium seated stand at the west side. With bar/club shop underneath with police steward control box.

Fans have all choices open to them whether they want a side or end view and whether to stand or sit,

Away fans can have their own turnstile, toilets and bar, and the choice to stand or sit in the South West corner.
This is probably the closest description that I have seen on here that matches what I would suggest if I had any input into the design. Last Friday I made myself a bit unpopular with one of my fellow volunteers (Sorry Dave) who sits in the South Stand when I suggested that it would be a waste of money to spend out on two big stands either side of the pitch and that a covered terrace on the South side running the length of the pitch would actually be great for those that want to stand as they could even move from one end to the other (like Woking) if they wanted to during the game. the North Stand could then be an all seater stand with all the hospitality in one place.

The only difference in my ideas would be that the whole of the High St end would be for away fans with a mixed seat and terrace stand rather than just one corner. We will never in my opinion outgrow the home capacity of the other three sides so lets not restrict the level of away support that we can have. We would only need to open up a single section of it for when away attendance is low.

I would also have the home disabled section in the North stand but up at the top of the stand where they can get a better view than currently at ground level. Our disabled sections (Home and away) are actually not too bad, a bit small but better than some similar old grounds. However we can do better for them in a new design so hopefully a larger area with more of a premium view would be good with easy access to refreshments close by.
As someone who has a ST in the South Stand I am obviously going to disagree, for me it gives the best view of the game in the ground especially as I like to see the tactical side of the game. :wink:
“All religion is a foolish answer to a foolish question.” – Thomas Shelby
karlready

Post by karlready »

This is at least realistic. The south side of the ground is the problem with its confined narrow area, but IMO it could accomodate all the away support with a terrace and seating area; if required, the east end of which could be used by home as an extension of the East Bank. This would allow dedicated access from the High St. for away fans.
I have no problem with the existing East Bank, surely the only feature of the ground worth retaining. Removing the support columns is obviously a no-no unless the roof is removed and remodelled, a huge cost and undertaking. North Stand relatively straightforward. High St could be controversial, unsure about the fate of the trees….Assuming the trees go, there’s a great opportunity for a large bar, entertainment, offices etc. , backed by a neat all-seater stand facing the pitch. It’s all about budget, though, isn’t it.
through a glass darkly
Richard Petty
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by Richard Petty »

Sean Chambers wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:44 pm

As someone who has a ST in the South Stand I am obviously going to disagree, for me it gives the best view of the game in the ground especially as I like to see the tactical side of the game. :wink:
Surely the view from a regenerated North Stand would be exactly the same from a tactical perspective as viewing from the South Stand wouldn't it, the only difference would be the sun would set on your right instead of the left.
Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg »

supershots wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:44 am
Dom Sterlings Left Leg wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:29 pm
Richard Petty wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:55 pm The problem with installing an artificial pitch is that the initial outlay would take some while (probably 3 or 4 seasons to fully recoup). If we achieve promotion there would then be another substantial outlay to replace the pitch with grass again. you would probably have to remain in the National League for a minimum of at least 6 seasons to realistically see any return on the investment.
If installed as part of the development maybe it could be done and those kind of issues negated... plus I suspect the FL will end up allowing them..
Why waste money?
Waste money on what?
Dom Sterlings Left Leg

Post by Dom Sterlings Left Leg »

karlready wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:46 pm

This is at least realistic. The south side of the ground is the problem with its confined narrow area, but IMO it could accomodate all the away support with a terrace and seating area; if required, the east end of which could be used by home as an extension of the East Bank. This would allow dedicated access from the High St. for away fans.
I have no problem with the existing East Bank, surely the only feature of the ground worth retaining. Removing the support columns is obviously a no-no unless the roof is removed and remodelled, a huge cost and undertaking. North Stand relatively straightforward. High St could be controversial, unsure about the fate of the trees….Assuming the trees go, there’s a great opportunity for a large bar, entertainment, offices etc. , backed by a neat all-seater stand facing the pitch. It’s all about budget, though, isn’t it.
Isn't the East Bank roof asbestos?

Either way the whole lot needs tearing down and modernising.
Richard Petty
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by Richard Petty »

karlready wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:46 pm

The existing roof (which is Asbestos) and most if not all of the existing support metalwork will need to go or be replaced regardless of what the new design is as it has reached the end of its life. This might surprise people but based on previous surveys if no development was done the South Stand would probably outlive the Eastbank roof. The other issue is that we have for years incurred a capacity reduction in the Eastbank for both home and away supporters because of the configuration of the terraces and steps which are of varying heights and dimensions throughout the stand so those also need sorting out.
Weybourne Shot

Post by Weybourne Shot »

80fc wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:06 pm You all realise that the only input fans will have is the colour of the walls in the gents
Yes you can have matt white .. or vinyl white :D
and Richard Walden puts the Shots 1-0 up against Man Utd
karlready

Post by karlready »

O.k., will accept that the EastBank roof needs replacing. Presumably it’s not a danger except during removal. My concern is with budget and compromises which are inevitably going to have to be made. It will be interesting to see initial proposals to give some indication of how much development can be afforded.
through a glass darkly