Constructive ideas for Ground Development

Richard Petty
Co-owner
Co-owner
Re: Constructive ideas for Ground Development

Post by Richard Petty »

karlready wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:22 pm O.k., will accept that the EastBank roof needs replacing. Presumably it’s not a danger except during removal. My concern is with budget and compromises which are inevitably going to have to be made. It will be interesting to see initial proposals to give some indication of how much development can be afforded.
Your right that the East Bank roof is not a danger now but within a fairly short time frame (next few years) it would become so. Even if the stadium development were not taking place funding would have to be found to replace the roof within those next few years.
The old saying goes "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you will never please all the people all the time." In fact sometimes it seems impossible to even please some of the people any of the time
In Sight of Victory Shot

Post by In Sight of Victory Shot »

Despite the very many shortcomings of the 'Rec', I love it...personal history and fond nostalgia stretching back to the Old Testament. The familiarity is comforting. However, rebirth and renewal is a cosmic reality. I think perhaps most of us would like a new stadium which at least incorporates a nod towards the spirit of the 'Rec'. For me, I would like a bold, futuristic design that inspires and prepares The Shots for the upcoming new, young supporters, to carry the red & blue beacon well into this century.
A wrap around integrated stadia which gathers all fans together. Perhaps an acoustic engineer could advise optimum roof design to near replicate the noise/atmosphere generated under our barrel roof. And, as an earlier poster suggested - I love the striking modern floodlights at Boston Utd.
Sean Chambers

Post by Sean Chambers »

Richard Petty wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:48 pm
Sean Chambers wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:44 pm
Richard Petty wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:43 am

This is probably the closest description that I have seen on here that matches what I would suggest if I had any input into the design. Last Friday I made myself a bit unpopular with one of my fellow volunteers (Sorry Dave) who sits in the South Stand when I suggested that it would be a waste of money to spend out on two big stands either side of the pitch and that a covered terrace on the South side running the length of the pitch would actually be great for those that want to stand as they could even move from one end to the other (like Woking) if they wanted to during the game. the North Stand could then be an all seater stand with all the hospitality in one place.

The only difference in my ideas would be that the whole of the High St end would be for away fans with a mixed seat and terrace stand rather than just one corner. We will never in my opinion outgrow the home capacity of the other three sides so lets not restrict the level of away support that we can have. We would only need to open up a single section of it for when away attendance is low.

I would also have the home disabled section in the North stand but up at the top of the stand where they can get a better view than currently at ground level. Our disabled sections (Home and away) are actually not too bad, a bit small but better than some similar old grounds. However we can do better for them in a new design so hopefully a larger area with more of a premium view would be good with easy access to refreshments close by.
As someone who has a ST in the South Stand I am obviously going to disagree, for me it gives the best view of the game in the ground especially as I like to see the tactical side of the game. :wink:
Surely the view from a regenerated North Stand would be exactly the same from a tactical perspective as viewing from the South Stand wouldn't it, the only difference would be the sun would set on your right instead of the left.

The South Stand is slightly higher you look down more
“All religion is a foolish answer to a foolish question.” – Thomas Shelby
Birdman
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by Birdman »

That could explain why all those god-damned pigeons poo and roost over there. 🤬

Much credit to the volunteer who does his best to clean it up before match days.
“The benefit of hindsight can be a wonderful thing.”
CH

Post by CH »

Surely not having to look at that telephone exchange every week is a positive to switching sides?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Stenhouse wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:50 pm When you think of it, what other club is restricted in land growth for its ground by a redundant office block, an old peoples home, an ageing High Street, and a buddhist temple! Totally laughable if not true!
The only club I can think of that is more hemmed in than us is Luton Town.....and they're shifting to a new site. Likewise with Maidenhead. Agree Sten; there is very little space where we are-I also wonder how attractive a flat next to a football ground will be for buyers. I suppose Orient have done it. We shall see.
GetShotDownunder
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by GetShotDownunder »

Maybe or maybe not constructive ideas but with current employers on project not wanting us to use CAD and with lots of downtime, messed about with a new program last year, mostly when working nights.

South end, away section (smaller of the stands).
"duel bay window" canteen (building in "middle" front) that can service both segregated areas with minimal staff. Ground floor underneath stands thinking toilets, perhaps a public gym? with a "functional area" reserved for players at times or perhaps a nightclub.
OZShot! Better to be a Phoenix for a day than a Sheep all your life.
supershots
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by supershots »

Sean Chambers wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:40 pm
Sean Chambers wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:44 pm

As someone who has a ST in the South Stand I am obviously going to disagree, for me it gives the best view of the game in the ground especially as I like to see the tactical side of the game. :wink:
Surely the view from a regenerated North Stand would be exactly the same from a tactical perspective as viewing from the South Stand wouldn't it, the only difference would be the sun would set on your right instead of the left.

Got to agree with this, the view from south stand is better because of the height, best view in the ground from the back row.
Rba

Post by Rba »

Not being negative......would love something to happen \ start......Come on Mr Azeem prove me wrong... I just dont trust you.
EV

Post by EV »

Hello Mr Petty, I have to agree with Mr Chambers, have spent my entire footballing life in the South Stand and would never choose to leave it. Seated just about half way, it's the best view in the ground if you want to appreciate the whole game.
Of course when I started it was where the teams came out, with the dressing rooms to the rear of the stand.

Disabled fans need to be consulted. The away space for wheelchairs is awful at ground level. I have experienced this with my Mother. Parking for disabled in the ground would be preferable. I noted an away wheelchair user was turned away recently and told there was none very abruptly.
Old Bob

Post by Old Bob »

supershots wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:46 am
Bear wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:06 am Id like us to have a more enclosed stadium to keep the atmosphere in.

Something like this but with a terrace at either end - though probably way too expensive!!

https://frameweb.com/article/bord-studi ... ll-stadium
No - that is just wrong on all counts
Wow, that's a really comprehensive and tightly argued response, I must say.
Richard Petty
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by Richard Petty »

supershots wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:11 pm

Got to agree with this, the view from south stand is better because of the height, best view in the ground from the back row.
I am surprised you say its higher because depending where you sit in the North Stand the Back row of the North Stand is actually a fraction higher. The South Stand has 10 rows of seats whilst the North Stand has 11 rows at the East end of the North Stand seating. I do accept though that because of the Directors box the South Stand is better if you want to sit near the halfway line.
The old saying goes "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you will never please all the people all the time." In fact sometimes it seems impossible to even please some of the people any of the time
ShotOnTarget

Post by ShotOnTarget »

How about installing groundsource heatpump technology under the pitch? This could double up as under pitch heating (putting the artificial turf debate to bed) and making use out the energy generated.

It is often lamented that the pitch stays idle much of the time. This gives it 24/7 employment!
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
ShotOnTarget

Post by ShotOnTarget »

Richard Petty wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:44 am
supershots wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:11 pm

I am surprised you say its higher because depending where you sit in the North Stand the Back row of the North Stand is actually a fraction higher. The South Stand has 10 rows of seats whilst the North Stand has 11 rows at the East end of the North Stand seating. I do accept though that because of the Directors box the South Stand is better if you want to sit near the halfway line.
The south stand is steeper
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
supershots
Co-owner
Co-owner

Post by supershots »

GetShotDownunder wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:33 am Image

Maybe or maybe not constructive ideas but with current employers on project not wanting us to use CAD and with lots of downtime, messed about with a new program last year, mostly when working nights.

South end, away section (smaller of the stands).
"duel bay window" canteen (building in "middle" front) that can service both segregated areas with minimal staff. Ground floor underneath stands thinking toilets, perhaps a public gym? with a "functional area" reserved for players at times or perhaps a nightclub.
Can't the away fans have the one with no roof?